Amazing Facts

Posted by Richard Harris | | Posted On Friday, May 21, 2010 at 2:23 AM

On Sunday I just happened to look down and saw the Parade magazine next to my chair. The page was turned to one that showed an ape smiling on it. So being the kind of guy I am my curiosity was raised to a level where I just had to take a look.

Within this story I read what to me is an amazing fact; there are 15,000 apes in private hands in the U.S.! What in the world are all these people doing with apes in their possession? No wonder our country is in trouble it has gone ape! I used to worry about the dog next door, now I am keeping my head up toward the trees, you just never know.

That was an amazing fact you or I really did not need to know, here are a few more for your early morning reading:

  • More people are killed each year from bees than from snakes.
  • “Almost” is the longest word in the English language with all the letters in alphabetical order.
  • Dolphins sleep with one eye open.
  • Earth is the only planet not named after a god.
  • The average lead pencil will draw a line 35 miles long or write approximately 50,000 English words.
  • The longest flight of a chicken is 13 seconds. (Who times these things?)
  • Like fingerprints, everyone’s tongue print is different.
  • Fingernails grow nearly 4 times faster than toenails.

Now those are some amazing facts, and I could have gone on forever with them. They might have been amazing but we can all agree that pretty much they were useless. They served no real purpose and your day is none the better because you have read them.

Therefore let me give you some amazing facts that are amazing and useful.

  • We are special because we are a creation of God: Psalm 139: 13-14, “For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful I know that full well.” Just think you and me a creation of God, amazing!
  • God loved us enough to send his son to die for us: John 3:16, “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” Amazing , God thinks we are important enough to die for!
  • God has a plan for our life: Jeremiah 29:11, “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Ephesians 2:10, “For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” You and me, God’s workmanship, and on top of that he has a great plan for our life, amazing!

Sure it might be kind of nice to know that your fingernails grow much faster than your toe nails, but really in the long run what is great to know is that we have a creator who loves us and has a plan for us, now that is not only amazing but useful!

Scripture: Romans 5:8, “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners Christ died for us.”

Prayer: Dear Lord, we are amazed by your creation, we are covered by your love and we are thankful for your plans, for these things we are thankful. Help us to walk out our lives in front of you in such a way that gives honor to the great creator. We ask these things in the name of Christ, Amen.

all simple/truths are written by richard harris

© 2012



Site Design and Maintenance By Jeff Thompson