Gated Lights?

Posted by Richard Harris | | Posted On Friday, May 21, 2010 at 2:01 AM

This time of year I absolutely love to see the lights. They light up an otherwise boring part of the year. Here in the cold and dark of December we get to see street after street filled with Christmas lights. Yes Christmas lights are on the top of my seasonal list.

As I drive home we are always on the lookout for a new house with lights. The other night on our way home from church we all spotted an awesome house on the other side of the street. I raced across two lanes of traffic to the turn lane so we could go down the street and check it out. Fortunately there was not a policeman to observe my dedication to Christmas lights, none the less it was worth the time and look.

I love my new neighborhood and it has some nice Christmas lights and as I drive around the city in which I live I have seen some pretty good lights. Just across from my neighborhood that indeed does have some nice lights but I will never see them up close. Why, well certainly not because I am not dedicated to taking a look. The reason I will not be able to see these lights? Two words; gated community. I can’t get in.

Don’t get me wrong if the neighborhood for safety reasons wants to be gated, that is fine with me and truly none of my business. It would never even cross my mind if it was not for the fact that I look over the fence see those lights and want to get to them but just can’t.

Unfortunately a lot of church’s and Christians have done exactly what this neighborhood has done. They have the light of the world but have set up gates to keep people out. The gospel looks good to them, but they can’t get in. How very sad.

The gates are built several different ways. First we create our own rules apart from the gospel. We mandate requirements for entrance into the kingdom that expand upon grace and Jesus sacrificial death on the cross. We determine that traditions and denominational rules or by laws are must for salvation. (Read Ephesians 2:8-9)

We also build the gate of appearance. If you look different, have a different nationality or color, if you dress different, if your hair is not right or your shoes not in style then you are not welcome. We forget that man sees the outside but God sees what is in the heart.

We build the turf and lingo gate. In other words you’re good for the kingdom as long as you don’t want my pew or my part of service within the church. Or you are fine to enter the church if you can figure out our code. We speak in our own Christian language and assume the rest of the world knows what we are talking about. Just like the gated community you can get in with no problem but only if you have to know the code.

We put our Christmas light out in front of our house, why? So you can see them, of course not, for the most part you can not see the lights on your own house from inside of your own. We put our lights out in the front so that others can see them and enjoy them. So that others can be drawn to the light.

Do you think I drive down dark streets, of course not? Of course not I only go where I see the lights. But if I can’t get in then what good does it do me?

We who know Christ should be mindful not only this time of year but all year long to unlock the gates and let those who see the light of Christ come in freely!

Scripture: Matthew 14-16, “You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let you light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.”

Prayer: Dear Heavenly Father, guide us to be light shiners in the dark world in which we live. Help us to be the kind of people who draw others to you freely. Help us to break down the walls that we in our humanly habits seem to put up. Let us be agents of grace and love, we ask these things in Christ name.

all simple/truths are written by richard harris

© 2012



Site Design and Maintenance By Jeff Thompson