Stop Looking, It’s Right There!

Posted by Richard Harris | | Posted On Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 2:02 PM

I have a ritual every morning; I guess that is what makes it a ritual, huh. I get up, take my shower, thrown on my clothes, and then I start to look for my glasses. Being that I am forty three years old you would think I would be smart enough to put my glasses in the same place so I could find them more easily. If that is what you think, then you would be mistaken.

I have found my glasses in all kinds of places. I have found them on the back of the couch, on the night stand next to my bed, under the kitchen table, next to the computer, on top of the TV stand, and on the floor within inches of being stepped on by either me or my children to just name a few. It seems as though wherever I happen to be or walk by is where my glasses land.

Looking for them is not one of my favorite things to do. Many mornings I get frustrated with my lack of common sense in putting them where I can find them. The best place for the glasses is on the table and that is where I found them today but only after having looked in several other places first.

You see I was looking in all the wrong places for my glasses when actually they were right in front of me the whole time. If I would have just looked down at the table, actually I did, just didn’t see them, (I guess that is why I need glasses) I would have saved myself a lot of time and frustration.

I am convinced a lot of people are looking for something in their life and it is sitting right in front of them. They look for peace, so they buy pills, drugs or alcohol. They are looking for love so they look for a physical body to share it with. They find sex but not love. They are looking for fulfillment so they throw themselves into a dizzying amount of activities and what they really find is exhaustion. They look for financial freedom through hours of extra work and find instead bondage to their job.

When I think of someone looking for something and it being right in front of them I can’t help but think of Mary standing at the tomb, crying looking for her Lord that Easter morning. She has come out of devotion and love; she finds Him missing and is broken hearted in fear that the authorities have taken His body.

She turns from the tomb to find what she thinks is the gardener and ask if He has taken away her Lord and if he has she wants to know where to so she can go and get him. What she fails to see through the pain, tears and heartache of the moment is that she is speaking to her Lord.

Jesus simply calls her by name and her eyes are opened and she sees that it is indeed who she has been looking for all along.

The world is full of people looking for something that is missing in their life. The shame of it all is that, like me looking for my glasses or Mary looking for her Lord, it has been in front of us the whole time. His name is Jesus.

Are you fearful? Are you low on hope? Are you looking for real love? Are you beating yourself up with failures of the past, not forgiving yourself? Have you found yourself in bondage to things of this world?

The answer to all these questions and worries is right in front of you, stop looking all over the place. Stop wasting your time, do what Mary did, grab hold of the Savior and call out His name.

Scripture: Luke: 24: 4-6a, “While they were wondering about this, suddenly two men in clothes that gleamed like lightning stood beside them. In their fright the women bowed down with their faces to the ground, but the men said to them, “Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here; He has risen!

Prayer: Dear Heavenly Father, We praise your holy name for sending your son to die on the cross for our sins and we give glory to you for his resurrection that gives us hope for the future. Please help all those who are lost without you to see you clearly this day. We ask all these things in Christ name, Amen.

all simple/truths are written by richard harris

© 2012



Site Design and Maintenance By Jeff Thompson