Let’s Go Swimming

Posted by Richard Harris | | Posted On Friday, May 21, 2010 at 2:40 AM

I recently went to a summer camp; this camp is filled with all kinds of good things to do. There is horseshoes, volleyball, softball, walls to climb, and of course there is swimming in a lake.

I am not a big fan of swimming in the lake; I like my swimming in nice concrete pools. No possible snake can live in a ‘cement pond’. You also can not see the bottom and who knows what is going on in there. For some it is great but not for me.

My entire family was at the camp and my five year old Caleb is the closest thing to a fish I have ever met. He loves to swim and it does not matter where it happens to be. He does not share his father’s fears of swimming in a lake.

One day everyone heads off to go swimming and Caleb catches on. He asks to go and I am trying to think of everything I can to get out of this. I am tired, I have others things to do, wouldn’t he have more fun hanging around the cabin, let’s go for a walk up the hills, anything. Finally I give in and do what I do not want to do and do what he is excited to do.

We put on our suits and head for the lake. On the way Caleb is so excited, he is telling me in his own special way how much he appreciates it. He is holding my hand as we walk and he is saying, “anks dad”. He is practically floating on air with excitement.

Then we arrive and as I struggle to get in the water he is off and running, once again the smile and pure joy is hard to miss. For about an hour he swims out in front of me and makes me chase him in the water. After a while I forget about how cold the water is and start to have a good time.

The thought dawns on me as I get a rare moment to spend time with Caleb alone on the way back of what I would have missed had I stayed at the cabin; his broad smile, his sweet voice of excitement, his laugh as he swam away from me and his conversation with others as he shares about his great afternoon in the lake. In reality I should have been saying, “anks Caleb” instead of him telling me thanks.

As adults too often we can think of excuses galore to keep us from doing what we don’t want to do. We can become selfish creatures that forget what it is like to be a kid and go swimming, or throw rocks in the lake, or go for a walking adventure. We stay in the house, we do some work and in the meantime real life is passing us by.

I say thank you Caleb for reminding me that it is not all about me and my desires. I say thanks to Caleb for reminding me that pure joy comes to those who are willing to take the time to find it. I also say thanks to Caleb for reminding me that life is short and moments to walk to the lake come far and too few between.

Perhaps those of you reading this need some of those same reminders, if so and if you get the message, don’t worry I will tell Caleb, “anks” for you.

Scripture: Ephesians 5:15-16, “Be very careful, then how you live-not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.”

Prayer: Dear Lord, help us to not be so hung up on the big moments or the moments of work that we miss the simple things that give us pure joy. We thank you for the children you bless us with that they might be real reminders of what is really important. Help us to have faith like a child, we ask these things in the name of Christ, Amen.

all simple/truths are written by richard harris

© 2012



Site Design and Maintenance By Jeff Thompson