My Hohner Harmonica

Posted by Richard Harris | | Posted On Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 2:13 PM

I have always enjoyed music in almost any form Rather it be instruments, singing, or any combination of the two. However that is as far as my involvement with music went. This was not due to any lack of interest; instead I found my talent level to be too low to operate a musical instrument at the level of expertise I would require of myself before playing in front of anyone. However when I turned twenty I decided that I was tired of riding the musical bench. I decided that my fist outing was going to be a safe attempt. Passing up the possibility of playing “spoons on my knee” I went for something slightly more musical. I chose the Harmonica, assuming that it would be fun and easy. I was only right on one of those assumptions. It is fun, but not easy at all. There is a lot more to playing the harmonica than most people make it look. Which in part is a great deal of the attitude that comes along with playing a harmonica. When played properly the harmonica is supposed to be the soul and rhythym of the song it is a part of.

One day while reviewing some techniques of my harmonica I had a great realization. That playing my harmonica was very similar to my life as a servant to the Lord. As a Christian I am supposed to be the harmonica of my world. That is to say that in my everyday life I should be so different from the way that everyone else is that I seem to march to the beat of a different tune. Just like the harmonica sound is so very different and distinguishable; my lifestyle should be the same way for the Lord.

One of the most important observations I realized was that without wind the harmonica became a worthless hunk of metal with two wooden reeds inside. The same goes for us as Christians. Without our efforts accompanied by the winds of the Lord then all we become are worthless bodies wandering around without a point in our lives.

As there is with all instruments there is a trick to make the music stop regardless of how much air or effort is put into it. If you put your hand over the back of the harmonica no amount of air will produce sound of any kind, good or bad. This is so true for us, if we cover ourselves up and refuse to let ourselves be devoted totally to God then our ministry is severely damages.

We are called to make a joyful noise to the Lord. Not to whisper amongst fellow Christians about how good we think he is. Instead we are called to shout to God, and when we shout we cannot help but to be heard. Just like a properly played harmonica cannot be missed in a song, we should never be missed among men praising the Lord.

So we have to ask ourselves today; are we playing our harmonicas? Or are we just sitting around with them in our back pockets, waiting for the perfect time, and place to play them? Those things will never come. That is why we have to praise our God in everything we do. Turning every aspect of our lives into another verse of our praise song to the Lord. It is not going to be easy at all. Just like the harmonica, we are going to have to dedicate ourselves fully to our Lord Jesus Christ and trust in him to provide us the strength we need to endure our challenge.

Bible Verses:

“”Shout with joy to God, all the earth! Sing the glory of his name; make his praise glorious!” Psalms 66:1

“Worship the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful songs.” Psalms 100:2

My Prayer

Lord I pray that everyday I would wake up with the pleasure of praising your name on my heart. That my life would be transformed from what it is now into a life full of un-ending praise for you dear Lord. I also pray that I would have the strength and courage to follow throughout the day with my duty ad impact the lives of those around me.

all simple/truths are written by richard harris

© 2012



Site Design and Maintenance By Jeff Thompson