Where is the Fruit?

Posted by Richard Harris | | Posted On Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 1:27 PM

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control...Galatians 5:22-23”

In Galatians five Paul sets before us things that will bud in our lives if we have the Holy Spirit working in our lives. Yes everyone can have joy and love etc. but Christians are to have it in such a way that it is supernatural, empowered by God Himself.

I spend much of my life around people who call on the name of Christ. Not only at church but also in my neighborhood and at work, these people claim to know and love Christ. That claim would indicate to me that the Holy Spirit is dwelling in their hearts and lives. This may very well be true but I wonder where is the fruit?

More specifically let me deal with one fruit on the list, joy. Some of the most joyful people I am around are Christians. They just radiate an inner joy that you know could only come from knowing Christ. You love to be around these folks, they pick you up when you are down and there joy is contagious.

Then there are folks, many folks who I have to try and figure out what happened to the Spirit of joy in their life. Least you think I am preaching at you let me tell you that there are times that I can put myself in this category. Yes real joy comes from the Spirit of God but we make a choice each day how we are going to live our lives and are we going to allow the Spirit to work in the area of joy in our lives. Joy is a choice.

I read a quote from a five year old girl with cancer who was associated with St. Jude’s hospital. It goes like this, “I can choose to be sick and unhappy, or I can choose to be sick and happy. I choose to be happy. It’s a personal choice.” What wisdom from a five year old. I am humbled.

Things are going to happen in live, circumstances are not always going to go our way. We will not always be on the winning side of the score. Life is just that way; we can not control many of lives events. Some of you have faced circumstances I could never dream of.

Though all of that is true it is also true that each day we can make a choice, be happy or be unhappy. Let joy reign in our life or spend our life miserable. The harder life gets the more we have to lean on God and the power of His Holy Spirit to help us. The more we lean on Him the more He empowers us. Lets face it the way life falls without God I can’t imagine anyone finding too much joy.

My suggestion is choose joy. As we do people will have no trouble finding the fruit of God’s presence in our life.

We have a choice, be miserable and quench the spirit of God or find joy and share with the world a ripe fruit, sweet to look at and delightful to be around.

Scripture: Philippians 4:11-13, “I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who give me strength.”

Prayer: Dear Heavenly Father, help us to find joy. Help us to seek your help in being people who bear the fruit of joy in our lives. Be with us as we seek to be in content in all that life brings though we may not understand it all. You are a good God and we ask these things in the name of your son, Jesus Christ.

all simple/truths are written by richard harris

© 2012



Site Design and Maintenance By Jeff Thompson